Looking Back At Sigma Chi in 2012
As the Sigma Chi Fraternity enters 2013, it leaves behind a great 2012 calendar year that included many achievements over all aspects of the Fraternity. Take a look at 10 of the top moments in Sigma Chi in 2012:
10. First Merlin Olsen Day of Service Team Effort: For the first time in the event’s three-year history, an undergraduate chapter — from California-Berkeley — combined efforts with alumni chapters — from the San Francisco and Oakland East Bay alumni chapters — to serve their community for the Merlin Olsen Day of Service on Sept. 15.
9. Foundation Scholarship/Donations: For the first time ever, the Sigma Chi Foundation reached $250,000 in yearly scholarship donations. The Foundation also created the Caldwell Circle for undergraduate giving. This new program supported the Strong Arms Fund, a scholarship benefitting brothers affected by natural disasters, including those affected by Superstorm Sandy.
8. New Ritual Book: The Fraternity’s undergraduate chapters voted on several minor edits to the Ritual and Ritualistic statutes, and the new Ritual Books were distributed at 2012 Balfour Leadership Training Workshop.
7. Western Connecticut State Chapter Sandy Hook Support: Sigs from the undergraduate chapter at Western Connecticut State University sold wristbands and organized a campus dance to support victims’ families from the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., in December.
6. Leadership Programs Success: The Fraternity’s leadership programs department implemented the most CHOICES alcohol and drug awareness programs and Mission 365 recruitment training workshops to undergraduate chapters in the history of both programs.
5. MONOPOLY®: Sigma Chi Limited Edition: The Fraternity unveiled a new collectible — MONOPOLY®: Sigma Chi Limited Edition. Sigma Chi’s heritage, traditions and history are featured in the board game. The game allows players to buy, sell and trade their way through the Fraternity’s monuments, memorials and moments in Fraternity history.
4. Big-time Installation At Carnegie Mellon: The undergraduate chapter at Carnegie Mellon University’s Initiation on Nov. 3, 2012, for its installation totaled 58 members, the largest Initiation class for an installation since the undergraduate chapter at Villanova University initiated 68 members on Dec. 10, 2005. The Fraternity also installed undergraduate chapters at: Loyola University Chicago, Boise State University, Southern Illinois University-Carbondale and Saint Francis University.
3. Record Attendance At Balfour LTW: The Fraternity hosted Balfour LTW on Aug. 2–5, 2012, at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind., and it featured a new all-time attendance record of 1,901 participants.
2. Pledge Education System: During 2012 Balfour LTW at Purdue University in West Lafayette, Ind., the Fraternity rolled out its new Pledge Education System, with the aim that the new system will serve as a new resource for both Magisters and pledges.
1. New Website: During 2012 Grand Council in Cleveland, the Fraternity unveiled the new sigmachi.org, which included the Fraternity focusing on making the site a resource for undergraduates and alumni, and making it much more user friendly.